Thursday, January 10, 2013

Use it again: picture wire


There are some things I find myself pulling out of the craft room more than I expected. They're usually things I splurged on for one project and didn't plan to use again, but then end up using in a whole variety of projects. "Use it again" is a place to show all the different ways normal materials end up being used in my house.

I got my picture wire for obvious reasons--to hang pictures. I've picked up a lot of frames at resale stores lately, and some of them have needed quite a bit of work. 


But I also got to use the wire when I opened my box of ornaments and realized that they didn't have any string or hangers. I just made my own.


This fall our office had a gourd decorating contest. We all submitted our works of art, and they were displayed around the building for judging. I decided to recreate American Gothic out of fabric on a gourd. 

Yes, I now know that's not normal.


See how cute it turned out? The wire was exactly what I needed for the glasses and pitchfork.

The fabric was all scraps I had in the house, including some leftover from the guest room duvet attempt.

Here are the other gourds I made, just for fun:


For the office Christmas chapel each agency was encouraged to bring an ornament representing an area of the world in which we work. Feeling subversive, I whipped out this spiky ornament:


It represents the Israeli occupation in Palestine, the national borders and detention centers of our immigration system, and our broken prison system.

We stood out a little bit.



Have you made anything with wire? How did it turn out?



2 comments:

  1. That ornament! You have this, like, ruthless protester inside of yourself, Marie! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone else brought cutesy ornaments, but I couldn't help myself! I'm trying to practice constructive subversion, instead of subversion for its own sake :)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Followers