Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Repurposing fabric

My favorite thing about my bedroom is that I made so much of it myself. I wanted a variety of patterns in my room, and I've managed to do it all very cheaply. Remember the bed post ceramics?


A few years ago I found a really cool scarf at Goodwill, and I grabbed two. I used one to cover the seat on my occasional chair (also from Goodwill), and used the other on my desk chair. 


I like having a repeated pattern on two very different styles of furniture.


My bedspread is what makes me happiest. It's actually a tablecloth sewn onto a thrift store comforter. I always get cold when I sleep (no really--I sleep in multiple layers of fleece with several blankets and more than one comforter. It's crazy), so I'm really glad I got a big comforter. My bed is a twin, but the comforter is a full size. This means I don't have to worry about it sliding off or showing the bed frame, and it keeps in more heat during the night.


I just centered the tablecloth and sewed it straight on. Not particularly elegant, but it's perfect for me.


This little roll pillow is from some fabric scraps I found in the basement. I just sewed the two pieces together, leaving the ends open. Then I made a hem on each end large enough to thread a string through. I stuffed the pillow, pulled the strings tight, tied them, and cut off the excess. 


These pillows are just covered in thrift store scarves. I sewed them as an experiment and liked them so much I left them. If I had been thinking longer term I probably would have made pillow cases instead of sewing directly onto the pillows.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Followers