Monday, December 3, 2012

Shower curtain adjustments

One of my favorite things about this house is the claw foot bathtub. But one of the quirks of claw foot tubs is that you end up surrounded by shower curtain, which tends to billow in humid conditions. After getting the curtain liner stuck to my body one too many times, I decided to grab a scissors and go to town.


It's a little hard to tell in this picture, but originally the curtain liner fell all the way to the bottom of the tub. It would have been fine in a normal tub, but the claw feet raise the tub by quite a bit. I was worried about the bottom hem being wet all the time and possibly getting mildew, so I trimmed it up.


I cut several inches off the bottom hem and weighted it with washers. This way the curtain dries out after every shower and it doesn't billow onto me.


This was super easy. I just sewed a thick hem that was wide enough to fit the washers. Then I sewed each washer in, starting in the middle and working my way to the ends. 


I used galvanized steel washers--they won't rust, and they're just the right weight.



It doesn't look that much different, but it functions much better!

Claw foot tub owners, do you have any tricks for making the most of your tub?

3 comments:

  1. thanks! I was having the same problem. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! I was having the same problem. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. custom drapes nj I would like to say that this blog really convinced me to do it! Thanks, very good post.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Followers