Saturday, December 1, 2012

Lego table!

This was one of my favorite projects this summer. It's easy, can fit any space, and always gets lots of compliments. What I love most about Legos is that you can create scenes complete with buildings, plants, and fiendish enemies. I end up leaving my Legos set up for a while, so a table dedicated just to them seemed like a perfect fit.

I started with this table my granddad had made. He actually built it for my parents when they moved into their very first house. Now it lives in mine. :)


I painted the top and bottom pieces with leftover oil-based paint. Then I picked out two Lego base pieces and arranged them so that I can build from one to the other seamlessly. (The bumps line up. Use a few longer pieces attached to both bases to keep them the right distance apart when you start hammering.)

(Yes, that's a storm trooper and an AT-ST. Bonus points if you can find an ewok!)

I used small picture nails that didn't interfere with the bump pattern. First I hammered each nail into the plastic base pieces over a scrap piece of wood to get clean holes. Then I lined them up and gently hammered them onto my top board. Afterwards I flipped the board over and tapped the protruding nail ends to the side so they won't stab anyone.


A cute fair trade basket holds the rest of my pieces.


Right now this table lives in my room and gets a lot of action from visiting children (and me!).


If you've made a Lego table, tell us how it turned out!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Followers