Monday, December 17, 2012

Framed chalkboards

In a late night Pinterest cruise I ran across chalkboard fabric and got really excited. Think of the possibilities! You could make table runners and label each plate, you could upholster a couch, you could have a chalkboard dress...

Ok, maybe a dress would be impractical. I had been wanting an attractive way to keep lists in my dining room (where I eat, pray, answer bills, and evaluate my life over food). I ran to a few thrift stores and found 3 frames that were roughly the same size. I've found that often it helps to look at frames from the back--it's easier to ignore whatever's going on in the prints and just focus on the shape and size. One of these days I'll post all of the ridiculous art prints I've taken out of thrift store frames.


This is the chalkboard fabric. I found it at Joann's in the utility section. It looks just like black vinyl, but you can draw on it.


I took out the art, glass, and backings of each frame. After a few different attempts I finally attached the fabric to the glass using double-sided tape. This way I could control how much the fabric moved and I didn't have to try to stretch it tight while sliding it into the frame. Spray adhesive would probably be a better idea, but I didn't have any.


Then I replaced the backings and made sure all the frames hung the same way. This one was originally meant to hang horizontally, so I moved the hooks and strung a new wire.


At first I thought I could use normal stick chalk, but it doesn't write as well on the fabric and it made grooves. Finally I caved and got these chalk pens. I went with an earth tone set because there's no way I could handle fluorescent on the wall. Just not my style.


They work great! I have one board for my goals, one as a prayer list, and one for doodles and quick notes to myself.


I like that this frame is raised. The other two aren't, but that's just fine.


See how cleanly the markers write? What would you do with chalkboard fabric?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Followers