Monday, November 5, 2012

Personalized welcome mat

I live in a duplex, and I hate visiting duplexes and not knowing which door to knock on. My solution was to make a cute doormat that would reassure people they were at the right door.

At first I thought I should go full nerd, and I was toying with the line "These are not the droids you're looking for."


I thought it was clever, but the rest of the world did not. I decided to go for something a little more mainstream.


I found a doormat on clearance and painted my initial on it. This took a few tries--at first I made a paper stencil, but it moved around too much. Then I made a stencil from contact paper, but I cut on the wrong side and the M turned out backwards. Finally I made a stencil that stuck and was recognizable. Since my door is under a canopy I don't have to worry about rain, and I just used acrylic paints. I pushed the paint pretty deep into the fiber, and it still looks just as clear and bright as when I made it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Followers