Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Use it again: window tape


There are some things I find myself pulling out of the craft room more than I expected. They're usually things I splurged on for one project and didn't plan to use again, but then end up using in a whole variety of projects. "Use it again" is a place to show all the different ways normal materials end up being used in my house.


My house leaks cold air (as I'm sure you know by now), so window plastic was a high priority. The tape that comes in the window kits is just double-sided tape, but I had only thought to use it with windows. That is, until...


I made big paper stars to decorate our office. The stars are modular, meaning each point is made out of a separate sheet. I was worried they would fall apart, so I secured them with small strips of window tape. It worked perfectly!


So then I tried using the tape in bigger pieces to attach chalkboard fabric to glass, and that worked too. See the framed chalkboards here.




I even use window tape to keep the loose end of my belt in place. I don't like when the belt end flops down, but I can't get it to tuck in nicely. A small piece of tape does the trick! It's invisible, it lasts all day, and it comes off without any residue.


Lately I tried using the tape to hang my newspaper snowflakes. My windows are really boring from the outside, since all you see are white blinds. So I attached the snowflakes directly to the plastic sheeting covering the windows using very small pieces of tape. 



They hold the snowflakes up but don't stick out and reflect light or cast shadows.



Since each window insulator kit comes with plenty of extra tape, I still have a lot more to use on projects. 


What's your favorite use for double-sided tape?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Followers