Saturday, September 7, 2013

Don Quixote (or how I brought home a ridiculously heavy statue)

The best part of thrift stores is finding bizarre, one-of-a-kind treasures that seem totally worthless to the general population. I have a terrible habit of bringing these things home.


I read Don Quixote de la Mancha when I was in middle school, and again when I took Spanish courses. I didn't understand much of it the first time around, but I loved the quirkiness of Don Quixote. So of course, when I saw this ridiculous statue in Goodwill, I was sure it was him.


Don't you love the shadow on the wall? I mean really, how many people have carved statues of knights in armor riding on horseback in their living rooms?


Besides, he coordinates well with the African figurine by the couch...


...and the Remington painting of a man on horseback. 

Poor Chris was with me in Goodwill while I debated whether I could take it home (it was $5, after all). He helpfully suggested that I could get rid of the ugly orange camel that had been living on top of the bookshelf. He dislikes Don Quixote less than he dislikes the camel, so it's a win-win for both of us. :)


Sorry, camel!



1 comment:

  1. Actually, if you still have the camel, he'd look good in my newly freshened cubicle. But I agree: Don Quixote is infinitely better. (Just don't call that beautiful camel "ugly.")

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Followers