Saturday, September 7, 2013

Lacy steampunk wedding jewelry

Two of my dearest friends just married each other, and I got to stand up for them. They were extremely thoughtful and let the bridesmaids choose their own dresses and jewelry, ensuring that we would have something we liked, fit us well, and that we would wear again.


I couldn't find any jewelry I liked, so I decided to make my own. I was hoping for a lace-meets-steampunk look, since their decor was heavy on lace and the reception was in a converted factory. I found little pendants that look like a combination of lacy flowers and industrial cogs.


I wanted the necklace to mimic the sweetheart neck of my dress. And I wanted the earrings to hang down a bit, since I would probably have my hair up.

I don't actually have any jewelry making supplies, so I had to use a bottle opener, kitchen scissors, and a lot of patience. I don't recommend it.


I'm really happy with how they came out. I especially like how the earrings can look like Native American dreamcatchers, if you don't realize they're filigree leaves and not feathers. The only trick was making sure the necklace hung evenly, which I fixed by sticking it to my chest with double-sided tape. It looked just right in all the pictures and I never had to fuss with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Followers