Monday, October 22, 2012

Frames, frames, frames!

 Once again, I started a project because I was tired of staring at blank white space. This is a shot of my living room wall. Nice, but dull.


I went on a thrift store rampage and came back with a variety of wooden frames (I had a few already from previous projects). I laid them out on the floor, trying to mix up colors and sizes and proportions.


My neighbors really liked the part where I hammered a lot of nails into the wall. Oops.






See? Visually interesting, low cost, and all secondhand.



In some of the larger frames I hung a tight line of twine, and now I have pictures of the people I love on my wall. It's not the traditional way of framing pictures, but I like it. 


I have a thing for sunflowers. So when I saw Van Gogh's sunflowers at Goodwill I knew I had to take them home. Unfortunately, the painting was dwarfed by yet another big white wall.


So I found a massive painting at another thrift store, painted part of the frame to match my tiled island, and hung that sucker on the wall. The biggest trick was finding a frame with the same proportions as the original painting. I wanted the outer frame to look like an extension of the piece.



Goodbye, boring wall!

Have you repurposed frames? Tell us about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Followers